Sir Hans Sloane’s Plants On Chelsea Porcelain – A Loan Exhibition, Stockspring Antiques, 114 Kensington Church St, London W8, 2nd – 16th June 2015
This exhibition celebrates the physician and collector Sir Hans Sloane who was a great patron of the Chelsea Physic Garden. The garden was a great centre of botanical research at a time when ships returning to London from Asia, Africa and the New World were bringing many unknown plants back with them. Sloane, himself, collected plants and animals and studied botany.
The chief gardener at the Chelsea Physic Garden from 1722 was Philip Miller who in 1731 published the Gardener’s Dictionary and later Figures of Plants, which showed the new plants in illustrations by Georg Dionysius Ehret. Ehret was the botanical artist of the time and had also provided illustrations for other books, including Plantae Selectae by Trew and Phytanthoza Iconographia by Weinmann.
These and other published works were the source for the wonderful botanical decoration found on Chelsea porcelain in the 1750s and which are known as Sir Hans Sloane plants. This special exhibition, thanks to the loans from museums and private collections, brings together over seventy pieces of Chelsea porcelain which are shown alongside images of their source engravings.
The exhibition is accompanied by a highly detailed hardback catalogue (£30 + postage) by Sally Kevill-Davies and is the fruit of her research into identifying the plants found on Chelsea porcelain. Thanks are due to the Cadogan Estate for their sponsorship of it.
Weekdays: 10 -5.30pm, Saturdays: 10 – 4pm. Sundays: Closed.